Green fact of the month - by the BMC Green Lab Initiative
Source (content and picture): BMC Green Lab Initiative
- Standard bacteria shakers consume up to 5.5 kWh per day just to maintain the device at 37°C. This is as much energy as a one-person household in Germany consumes per day.
What we can do
- Since the shakers may not be frequently needed and it only takes about 20 minutes to warm up to 37°C after switching on, we can avoid unnecessary energy consumption by switching them off by default and only turning them on when needed.
- In addition: Let's share incubators whenever possible.
- 1. Energy consumption of bacteria shakers:
Green light laboratories, 2019
- 2. Energy consumption of households in Germany:
Statistisches Bundesamt, 2020