The Master in Biochemistry at the LMU Munich is a cross-disciplinary program taught exclusively in English, and is open to German and international students. Each year, new classes start in the summer and in the winter semester. Accordingly, we offer two application deadlines for the Master in Biochemistry program. These deadlines apply to all students (Germany, EU, international).
Based on your application we decide if you fulfill the necessary requirements for the curriculum and, if this is the case, invite you to a mandatory entrance exam here in Munich. After you have passed the exam (and, in case of international students, have been accepted by the International Office of the LMU), you can be admitted to the curriculum.
• January 15th: curriculum starts in April (apply October 1st to January 15th)
• July 15th: curriculum starts in October (apply April 1st to July 15th)
Note: application materials must be received by the given date. Please, take the mailing time into account!
In case of questions, please, carefully read the information on these and linked pages or, in case there are still issues unclear, contact us at (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Prerequisites to qualify, in principle, for the curriculum/entrance exam:
- Bachelor in Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry or a related topic.
- Bachelor curriculum should include practical courses in Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Chemistry, Molecular
Biology/Genetics, Cell Biology
- Bachelors in Biotechnology/ Engineering or Pharmacy will only be considered if transcripts show
sufficient theoretical and practical skills in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology/Genetics/Cell Biology
- if you have not finished your Bachelor at time of application you can apply with a current transcript of records,
showing individual grades for at least 72 % of the required credit points (130 ECTS out of 180 ECTS for German
- excellent command of the English language. We do not require a proof of English proficiency, however, you need
to understand, speak, read and write English at a high level in order to master the curriculum.
Documents for application:
• Short cover letter (no motivation letter!)
• Curriculum vitae
• Application form
• Academic certificates and/or transcripts as certified copies:
o High School Diploma (transcripts of individual grade)
o Bachelor's Degree (transcript of individual grades or current transcript of records with at least 130 out
of 180 ECTS
Note: Only documents/copies with original certification are accepted. No photocopies of certifications/notariziations!
Send your application by post (hardcopies!) and include all stated documents addressed to:
Application Master Biochemie
Department of Biochemistry
Gene Center of the LMU
Note: International students need to apply in addition at the International Office of the university (different address!), see below
Two applications have to be send in by international students:
1. one to the Department of Biochemistry (check of professional background); for prerequisites and necessary
documents please see above
2. one to the International Office of the LMU Munich (check of formal eligibility to study at a German university).
Note: Both offices need to accept your application!
The application deadlines for both offices are January 15th and July 15th.
More information about the application to the University and the necessary application documents can be found on the central website.
- mandatory entrance exam for invited applicants
- only invited candidates may participate in the test, candidates will receive an invitation letter from us after we
have processed your application
- date for the entrance exam is 2-3 weeks after each application deadline
- place for the entrance exam is the Gene Center in Munich. You have to take the entrance exam here in Munich
at the specified date – no exceptions! Sorry, we cannot arrange locations around the globe.
- unfortunately travel expenses cannot be covered
Date entrance exams:
Entrance exam for winter semester 2019-2020 (application deadline 15th of July 2019):
Thursday, 08 August 2019, 10-15:30 h, K 00.015 Römerforum auditorium, BioSysM building
Entrance exam for summer semester 2020 (application deadline 15th January 2020):
to be announced
How to prepare for the entrance exam:
Recommended text books:
Alberts: Molecular Biology of the Cell