Education and Teaching Guidelines
Doctoral students are expected to regularly participate in lecture series that are considered part of the program, namely:
- Monday Seminar Series featuring talks by outside speakers
- PhD/Postdoc Seminar Series featuring talks by Gene Center speakers
- Special lectures offered by the different graduate schools (QBM, IMPRS, GRK1721).
- Workshops to improve writing and oral presentation skills, literature research etc. are offered by the university. At least one such course should be attended. Please check under www.en.graduatecenter.uni-muenchen.de
Communicating scientific results in a clear and compelling fashion is a crucial skill for a scientific career, and doctoral students are expected to work on their scientific communication skills in various ways:
- Presentations in lab group meetings and TAC meetings
- Poster presentations at the annual Gene Center retreat
- Presentation in the PhD/Postdoc Seminar Series at least once
- Presentation of (completed) projects at international meetings or workshops
Meeting attendance can be sponsored by different organizations:
Doctoral students are also expected to participate in teaching and supervising Bachelor and Master students:
- 4 weeks of teaching support (preparation and supervision of laboratory courses, grading students exams etc)
- supervision of Bachelor thesis projects and Master research and thesis projects in their lab.